Avoid a Fire in Your Kitchen
An estimated 358,500 home fires occur every year. 50% of these fires start in the kitchen! In a five-year period, house fires caused $6.9 billion in property damage (NFPA). The main top three causes of fires in homes are cooking, heating equipment, and electrical malfunction (FEMA). It can take just 30 seconds for a small flame to turn into a major blaze (Department of Homeland Security). An average of 358,500 homes experiences a structural fire each year (NFPA). Every day, at least one child dies from a fire inside the home (Stanford Children’s Hospital). Its crazy to think all this is coming from a house fire, but nothing is impossible.
Let’s observe these following safety tips:
- Heaters- be sure to keep these heaters at least 3 feet away from any flammable objects, such as blankets or curtains.
- Space heaters- should be kept on tile or ceramic flooring — away from carpets or rugs. (Consider purchasing a space heater that automatically shuts off in the event it’s tipped over.)
- Be sure to extinguish the embers in a fireplace or the flame of a candle
- Install a fire alarm in every room and every floor of your home. Install a carbon monoxide detector on every floor of your home. Test all devices yearly and replace batteries as needed.
- If the unthinkable happens and you do find yourself in a house fire, remember:
- “Stop, drop, and roll” if your clothing is on fire.
- Crawl low to the floor and keep your airways covered.
- Touch door handles to test if they’re hot before opening the door.
- To open and use a fire extinguisher, use the following acronym: PASS
- Pull the pin
- Aim low at the base of the fire
- Squeeze the handle slowly
- Sweep the nozzle side to side