5 easy ways to be prepared for storm season!
If your home suffers any damage due to a catastrophic event don’t hesitate in calling, SERVPRO McAllen, at (956) 631-0348 for your free quote!!
We may not experience many hurricanes or tropical storms, but we want to have all the necessary tools to be prepared for such scenario, when we do. And hey, sometimes, storms don’t have to mean hurricanes or tornado watches!! Constant rain, after a long period of time, may lead to floods or damage to your home, if it wasn’t ready for such impact.
Let’s jump right into the good stuff on, “How to Prepare Your Home for Storm Season”!
- Trim your trees: one of the most common ways a house suffers from damage is from fallen tree branches and/or limbs. While it may seem impossible to know which tree mother nature which choose to knock off her path, inspect those trees around your property and trim any necessary branches.
- Clean out gutters and check your roof: When your gutters aren’t cleared out regularly, you’re taking the risk that rain water will be backed up and end up pouring through the sides of the house, or even make its way to your roof line. Clearing out this task before a storm, might just save you damages and money beyond compare.
- Emergency kit ready: these can literally be a life saver if, in the event, you lose power during a storm.
Check list of items you may want to keep in your kit:
- Battery operated flashlights/headlights
- Battery operated radio
- Emergency cash
- First aid kit (from Band-Aids, pain killers, alcohol to gauze) be prepared
- Medications (for this scenario if you’re taking any daily crucial medications consider storing some in your kit just remember expiration wise when u stored them in the even u don’t use them you will need to swap them for a recent up to date dose)
- 3-day supply of food and water (same for food with shelf life, check the dates on your cans to assure if not used within their time frame they are replaced)
- Generator: this might just be your best investment in the event you live in an area prone to storms.
- Evacuation Plan: worst case scenarios can happen and you may be asked to evacuate your home. Familiarize your self w the different evacuation routes in your city. Also, keep close to you a list of family members and numbers where you may seek shelter. (Maybe having a listing nearby hotels in the event family isn’t an option for whatever reason)